Matter is a small but growing startup. Our first product is an iOS app (currently in private beta) that pairs personal experience with universal neuroscience to help everyone understand what’s happening in their brain.
Our goal is to help people live healthier, happier, longer lives — for themselves and the people around them.
Learn more about the science behind Matter.
We’re a small, fully-remote team committed to doing our best work. For us this means balance. We work Monday through Thursday. In addition to every Friday, we offer 20 vacation days per year, plus the last week of December. Compensation includes stock options. The salary range for this full-time role is $120,000 to $160,000.
Learn more about working at Matter.
You’ll be working with Chief Designer Jon Tan and a small team of developers. We’re all here to support and help each other, but you also need to be able to work independently. Here are some of the things that you’ll be up to:
- Apply human-centered design principles to craft durable, inclusive, and engaging user experiences
- Produce prototypes, low- and hi-fidelity sketches, comps, and interfaces
- Support the creation of a design system, and apply it across multiple platforms
- Collaborate effectively with other designers, engineers, and writers in a relaxed team structure
College degrees and certifications, numbers of years of experience, and prestigious accolades are not required. General life experience, expertise in your area, curiosity, and generosity with skills and knowledge are more important.
We’d love to hear about your experience with:
- Designing native mobile apps, in particular for iOS, from scratch
- Communicating the thinking behind interfaces and experiences you’ve designed
- Using sound, haptics, and animation to further user experience goals
- Effectively applying iconography, typography, and color theory
Doing meaningful work shouldn’t come at the expense of building a meaningful life. At Matter, this means:
- Four-day work week: Monday through Thursday
- 20 vacation days of your choice, plus the last week in December off
- Remote-first work environment: work out of our Boulder, CO office, or wherever else
- Flexible hours, so long as you can accommodate meetings during ET working hours
- 100% of premium healthcare coverage for you and your dependents
Even though we’re all pretty experienced, we all learn something new almost every day. It may be about neuroscience, design, or technology. Or it may be about something else entirely. We’ll be excited to learn from you, too.
If you’re interested in this role, send the following to email@example.com:
- A paragraph or two about your experience and why you’re interested in this role
- Link(s) to an app or two that you’ve worked on, with a couple sentences about your contributions
- A link to your portfolio or other representation of your work
- Anything else you’d like us to know about you or your work
Looking forward to hearing from you!